There was drama at the Kumasi Jubilee Park on Tuesday during the 61st Independence Day Parade after the Deputy Minister of Works and Housing Eugene Boakye Antwi who doubles as Member of Parliament for Subin Constituency was not invited to sit on the platform after arriving ahead of other dignitaries.
The angry MP broke protocol and sat on the middle seat on the platform which had been reserved for other dignitaries who had their name tag on the chair.
The protocol officers immediately drew his attention that the seat had been reserved and politely asked him to move back with his colleague Madam Patricia Appiagyei.
The request provoked the Subin lawmaker who started to use unprintable words on the security officers who were in charge of protocol.
The MP went ahead and took off the name tags on the front seat reserved for the Ashanti regional police commander COP Ken Yeboah and Deputy Minister of the region Madam Elizabeth Agyemeng and sat on the seat with Madam Appiagyei.
However, in order not destabilize the programme, the security officers mostly soldiers restrained their anger and allowed the minister to have his way while Madam Patricia Appiagyei sat next to him.
The situation created some confusion after the arrival of members of the Ashanti regional Security Council (RESEC) who were left stranded.
The deputy regional minister and police commander who were supposed to sit next to Ashanti regional minister were politely advised by the protocol to take their seat on the middle role of the platform for the programme to commence.
No amount of words could persuade the Subin lawmaker to take his rightful place behind the front row leaving the protocol officers in a haste to find other seats for the Police Commander.
The MP insisted he is the law maker for the Subin constituency and minister of state and therefore nobody can stop him from taking the front seat reserved for the deputy regional minister and the regional police commander.
Military deal: Bring the supposed agreement I signed to Parliament – Hanna Tetteh
Former Minister of Foreign Affairs in the erstwhile NDC administration has challenged the Minister of Defense, Dominic Nitiwul to also present to the august house of parliament the previous Ghana-US defence deal she is supposed to have signed for scrutiny as they have done with the new deal.
This she says will make it easier for the honourable members to do a comparison between the two agreements and also help the minister substantiate his point.
In an interview with Gold Power Drive host, Hanna Tetteh said, “I think that from the statements being made by officials of the NPP government, it is clear that this a new agreement. When you are signing a new agreement, it means that any provision you are unhappy with in the previous agreement you have the ability to renegotiate them. So this business of saying that whatever it is that they are bringing to parliament is as a result of things that were done by the previous government, it is just simply trying to pass the back and not taking responsibility for what they themselves have negotiated”.
“When I sign any agreement on behalf of another ministry and in this case the Ministry of Defense, it is not the case it is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that has negotiated the agreement. The implementing ministry will be the ministry that takes responsibility for negotiating the details and because it is a country to country agreement, it is the reason why it will be signed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs even if the implementing ministry is a different ministry. So this is not an agreement that was negotiated by me as minister of Foreign Affairs, it was signed by me on behalf of the Government Of Ghana and in this particular instance the Ministry of Defense” she explained.
She has also suggested that to make the matter clear and for the purposes of informing the Ghanaian public, the NPP government should make public the agreement that was signed by the previous NDC administration and also explain how that agreement commits the government to continue doing certain things today because she doesn’t believe that is the case.
“I read every agreement before I signed it and I don’t believe in my recollection that I signed any agreement committed Ghana to anything beyond the duration of that particular agreement. You sign an agreement and beyond a point it elapses and after that point, the obligations also elapse and you go ahead negotiate a new one and that is what they have done and this what they are now bringing to parliament for ratification. I haven’t seen that particular agreement that is been discussed because at the moment I was not in Ghana but I want to make it clear that there is nothing in the previous agreement that commits Ghana to the present agreement and if the minister wants to make that clear he should make available copies of that agreement” she pointed out.
20-year-old RTI Bill likely to be laid in Parliament today
The two decades old Right To Information (RTI) Bill is likely to be laid in Parliament today, Friday, March 23, 2018, following Cabinet consideration Thursday night.
The passage of the Bill will, however, have to wait until at least June this year.
Civil Society Groups including the RTI coalition stepped up pressure after President Akufo Addo’s independence day speech in which he committed to have the Bill presented to Parliament before it rises today, Friday.
It has been 22 years since the first Right to Information RTI Bill was drafted under the auspices of the Institute of Economic Affairs, IEA.
Also, it is 16 years since the Executive arm of government in 2002 drafted the first RTI Bill. The draft Executive Bill was subsequently reviewed in 2003, 2005 and 2007 but was never laid in Parliament until February 5, 2010.
Government is under massive pressure to get the bill laid before parliament rises on Friday, March 23 following fears that the government was deliberately delaying the process.
“The Majority Leader, Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu expects the Communications Committee of Parliament to study and consult widely on the Bill during Parliament’s recess to enable speedy work when the House reconvenes in May.
“This is not a Bill that can be considered under a certificate of urgency and be completed in one day. So the import of introducing it in Parliament will be for the Committee to be seized of it so that they can take it home during the recess and do the necessary consultation and report back to us mid-May. So that when we come back mid-May into when we shall adjourn again which will be July ending, we would have dealt with it.
” If the coast is clear sign is given, it will have to go to the Assembly press for gazetting, if it does go it can then come back to Parliament which is why I’m telling you it will come to Parliament in that state for it to be referred to the committee.”
Our sovereignty is not for sale – Ablakwa to US Ambassador
The United States Ambassador to Ghana, Robert P. Jackson should not be telling us [Ghana] that $20million in return for the Ghana-US military cooperation was a good return, the Member of Parliament for North Tongu and Minority Spokesperson on Foreign Affairs, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa has said.
According to him, comments by Mr Jackson that Ghana should be grateful for the monetary offer was “very regrettable.”
Based on an earlier memoranda signed in February 1998 and April 2015, the US government has requested for a new defence cooperation with Ghana.
The previous agreements were not known to Ghanaians because they were not taken to Parliament for ratification, even though US military has been in the country under those agreements.
Some variations in the new agreement as compared to the old ones have generated a public debate after it leaked.
The government and the Minority in Parliament have continued to slug it out this week with government justifying the proposed agreement whilst the Minority has called for its immediate withdrawal from Parliament arguing that, it would denigrate the sovereignty and autonomy of the government and the people of Ghana, as well as the laws of the country.
However, in a radio interview on Thursday, the US Ambassador to Ghana suggested that an investment of $20million in the Ghana Armed Forces in one year as part of the Ghana-US defence cooperation was a ‘pretty significant return’ that Ghana ought to be grateful.
But responding, Mr Ablakwa said, “I was disappointed hearing the Ambassador say that. I am unhappy and really depressed hearing that…the Ambassador should not be telling us that $20million is a good return, no!”
“You see, our bilateral relations should go beyond monetary terms, and when the discussion is about sovereignty, it’s about our image, it’s about Ghana’s peace and security, we should not be talking monetary terms,” Mr Ablakwa said in a radio interview with Accra based Joy FM.
The MP questioned: “How much will any country in this world, any country that has patriotic citizens, where they value their nation and respect themselves, will be putting up sovereignty for sale. So it shouldn’t be reduced to a discussion on monetary value.”
Preparations Rife For Ghana Job Bank Launch
Three Suspects Arrested In Koforidua
I can’t sleep at night – Ebony’s father
“I Slept with 1400 African Ladies, Impregnated 600”- French Sex Tourist
Ebony’s funeral for Black Star Square
Entertainment3 days ago
Ebony’s ‘body guard’ to be buried on Saturday
Entertainment5 days ago
STONEBWOY IS BETTER KNOWN IN UK THAN OTHER GH ACTS – STEPHANIE BENSON
General News4 days ago
Rev. Owusu Bempah will die in an accident soon – Prophet
Entertainment4 days ago
Is it only me who has a big mouth? – Shatta Wale jabs Yaa Pono
Entertainment3 days ago
I married to avoid ‘baby mama’ drama – Stonebwoy
Business5 days ago
Akufo-Addo, Unilever CEO to discuss sustainable PPP at Africa CEO Forum 2018
Entertainment4 days ago
No more beef: Sarkodie responds to E.L’s collaboration proposal
General News5 days ago
Rawlings’ Rants Can Affect Zanetor’s Seat – Desosoo