Connect with us

Sports

Osei Assibey – Reports on fake journalists scandal ‘a distraction for athletes’

Published

on

Renowned sports journalist and now Director of Communications for the Ghana Olympics Committee (GOC), Charles Osei Assibey, appears unhappy with the constant reportage on the fake journalists scandal that has rocked Ghana’s participation in the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Australia, saying it is a distraction to Ghana’s competing athletes.

Speaking on Eyewitness News, he said the credibility of Olympic sports needed to be protected for the sake of sports in Ghana.

“I’m worried because this hullabaloo is going to take the shine off Hor Halutie. It is going to take the shine out of the beautiful performances even though we haven’t won a medal yet. I think the young talents who went out there did so well,” he said.

“I am not encouraging something that has gone wrong, but inasmuch as the presidency is investigating this matter, I would wish that corporate Ghana would not take their eyes off investing in sports. The truth of the matter is that football is suffering credibility issues. If the GOC also suffers credibility issues, then sports is doomed.”

Mr. Assibey was commenting on the suspension of the Deputy Minister for Youth and Sports, Pius Enam Hadzide, and the acting National Sports Authority (NSA) Director-General, Robert Sarfo Mensah over the matter, following investigations undertaken by the Criminal Investigations Department (CID).

Three other officials from the ongoing games, namely GOC President, Ben Nunoo Mensah, NSA Board Chair Kojo Baah Agyeman and the Chef-de-Mason for the games, have been asked to return to Ghana immediately to assist in the ongoing investigations.

Aside from the CID probe, Mr. Assibey said the GOC also carried out some preliminary investigation into the matter, though he was unwilling to divulge any new information.

He simply said, “we are not happy with what we saw.”

Mr. Assibey had earlier pleaded with sponsors not to withdraw their support over the incident.

‘I did no wrong’

Meanwhile, the Deputy Sports Minister, Pius Enam Hadzide, has said his hands are clean following the visa racketeering scandal that rocked Ghana’s participation in the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia.

While welcoming his suspension on Accra-based Asempa FM, he said he will certainly be vindicated after the investigation.

“My understanding of the preliminary investigation does not mean that I have done anything wrong. If you ask who was in charge of the International Games Committee, I was the one, so for me that is enough basis for me to be asked to stand aside for investigations to commence,” he said in a Citi News interview.

Background

Last week, it emerged that some 50 Ghanaians had been deported from Australia after they were deemed to be “non-genuine travelers” posing as journalists for the Commonwealth Games.

According to Australian authorities, although all the affected persons had the necessary accreditation, they were not convinced the reported persons were real journalists.

Following this, the government referred the case to the National Security for investigations to begin.

The Minority in Parliament, however, rejected this move, insisting that the scandal be probed by an independent commission of enquiry under article 278 of the Constitution of Ghana.

In the midst of the probe into the scandal, the office of the Deputy Secretary-General of the Ghana Olympic Committee, Rev. Richard Quarcoo, was ransacked by some unknown persons on Monday.

Citi Sports sources indicated that the office may have contained some documents relating to the saga that has rocked.

 

Source: CitiNewsRoom.Com

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Arsene Wenger Resigns

Published

on

 

Arsene Wenger is to leave Arsenal at the end of the season, ending a near 22-year reign at the club.

The Frenchman departs a year before his latest contract was due to expire.

The Gunners are sixth in the league and set to miss out on a top-four spot for the second straight season, with their hopes of reaching the Champions League resting on winning the Europa League.

Wenger, 68, won three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups, including the Double in 1998 and 2002.

“I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years,” said Wenger. “I managed the club with full commitment and integrity.

“To all the Arsenal lovers, take care of the values of the club.

Arsenal majority shareholder Stan Kroenke described Friday’s announcement as “one of the most difficult days we have ever had in all our years in sport”.

He added: “One of the main reasons we got involved with Arsenal was because of what Arsene has brought to the club on and off the pitch.

“His longevity and consistency over such a sustained period at the highest level of the game will never be matched.”

Appointed on 1 October 1996, he is the Premier League’s current longest-serving manager and has taken charge of a record 823 games.

But some fans have turned on the Frenchman over the past two seasons as a result of their league performances.

Sunday’s 2-1 defeat at Newcastle was their 11th in the league this season, equalling their worst tally in a campaign under Wenger.

They are 33 points behind leaders Manchester City, who have 87 points, and the same number away from bottom side West Brom, who have 21.

Arsenal finished outside the top four last term for the first time since Wenger arrived at the club, and are now 14 points behind fourth-placed Tottenham, with five matches remaining.

They face Spanish side Atletico Madrid, who are second in La Liga, in the Europa League semi-finals, with the first leg on Thursday.

Wenger’s ups and downs

Wenger won three Premier League titles and four FA Cups in his first nine seasons in charge.

In 2003-04, he became the first manager since 1888-89 to lead a team through an English top-flight season unbeaten.

But after winning the 2005 FA Cup, they waited another nine years – or 3,283 days – for their next silverware. It came as they beat Hull City to win the 2014 FA Cup, before winning the trophy again the following season.

Wenger won his seventh FA Cup last season, beating Chelsea 2-1 at Wembley, but finished 18 points behind Antonio Conte’s Premier League champions.

His side have struggled in Europe since losing to Barcelona in 2006 Champions League final.

They were eliminated at the last-16 stage for the seventh successive season on their last appearance in the competition in 2017, losing 10-2 on aggregate to Bayern Munich.

In 2006, they moved into the £390m Emirates Stadium after leaving Highbury.

The Gunners have consistently spent less than their main Premier League rivals on new signings, but Wenger twice broke the club’s transfer record this season.

France striker Alexandre Lacazette joined in the summer for £46.5m, while his final signing was Gabon striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang for £56m in January.

 

Source: BBC

Continue Reading

Sports

FIFA Hand Out Fines For ‘Third Party’ Deals

Published

on

FIFA policy on third-party ownership bans either clubs or players from entering into economic rights agreements with third-party investors. Frequently such deals involve outside investors retaining or gaining a share of ownership in a player.

Portugal’s Sporting Lisbon was fined 110,000 Swiss francs (80,123.33 pounds) for “entering into two contracts that enabled a third party to influence the club’s independence as well as for failing to record an existing third-party ownership agreement”.

 Another Portuguese club Benfica was fined 150,000 francs for two deals involving third-parties.
Spain’s Rayo Vallecano was fined 55,000 francs for a third-party deal and Celta Vigo was sanctioned 65,000 francs for a deal which FIFA said “enabled Benfica to influence the club’s independence”.

Qatari club Al Arabi was fined 185,000 francs for several third-party deals and for not entering correct information in FIFA’s mandatory International Transfer Matching System in the cases of seven transfers.

 

Source: FIFA

Continue Reading

Sports

[GHPL] – Referee beaten in Sharks vs Medeama; Game abandoned

Published

on

Center referee Yakubu Nuhu Liman, was allegedly assaulted by Elmina Sharks fans in their match week 8 game against Medeama on Wednesday, at the Nduom Stadium.

The referee suffered deep cuts to his head and was later rushed to the hospital for treatment, causing the game to be abandoned with 0-0 score.

Elmina Sharks tweeted to claim that the referee suffered the injury after he slipped and fell while making his way out of the dug out for the second half.

But eyewitnesses, including Medeama’s Public Relations Officer, Patrick Akoto, said it was a “brazen attack by some sections of the Sharks fans” on the referee.

The referee is said to be in a stable condition, but Sharks could suffer huge penalties including a forfeiture of the said game, further home matches ban, and a hefty fine if found guilty of perpetrating the barbaric act.

This is the second time the referee is reported to suffered an attack this season.

Continue Reading
Accra
31°
few clouds
humidity: 66%
wind: 5m/s SSE
H 30 • L 28
28°
Mon
28°
Tue
28°
Wed
28°
Thu
Weather from OpenWeatherMap


Facebook

Trending