The New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) newly elected parliamentary candidate for the Ayawaso West Wuogon Constituency, Lydia Alhassan, has said her victory marks the beginning of a campaign to retain the seat for the party.
The widow of the late MP for the constituency emerged victorious in the party’s primary at Dzorwulu JHS by securing 441 votes out of 672 total ballots cast.
The seat became vacant following the demise of her husband, Emmanuel Kyeremanteng Agyarko.
Lydia Alhassan, who dedicated the victory to her late husband, appealed to members of the party in the constituency to work together with her.
“Let us all put ourselves together and go out there and face Delali Brempong. We have done this before and we can do this again. We are retaining this seat together. We are doing this together. Delali, be ready, 31st January we are coming at you. We are retaining this seat.”
The NPP has held this seat since 2000 but Delali Kwasi Brempong of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) will be hoping to cause an upset in what has become an NPP stronghold.
NDC delegates elected Delali Kwasi Brempong, a former parliamentary candidate, in its primary on Friday, December 28.
Delali Kwasi Brempong beat Ekwow Acquah and Madam Donna Selassie Agbo.
He polled 415 votes, while Selassie Agbo and former constituency secretary Ekow Acquah got 115 and 119 votes respectively.
The Electoral Commission will open and receive nominations for the by-election from Thursday, January 10 to Saturday, January 12, 2019.
Profile of Lydia Alhassan
MBA Marketing (UGBS, Legon); B.A Entrepreneurship (GIMPA); Chief Executive Officer, Lymens Medical Supplies, Accra and Board Member, Minerals Commission
Leadership Positions Held.
• Vice Chairman, Pharmaceutical Importers and Wholesalers’ Association, Ghana – 2015 to date
• Executive Member, Chamber of Pharmacy Ghana – 2016 to date
• Treasurer, Women Fellowship, Accra Ridge Church, Spintex Branch – 2016 to date
• Regional Chairperson (Southern Sector), Lions Club Ghana – 2014 to 2015
• President, Accra Premier Lions Club – 2005 to 2006
Membership of Professional Bodies and Social clubs.
• Chamber of Pharmacy Ghana
• Lions Club Ghana
• Women Fellowship, Accra Ridge Church, Spintex Branch
• Member, Volta Regional Finance Committee, New Patriotic Party – 2014 to date
- Member, Ayawaso West Wuogon Finance Committee, New Patriotic Party – 2014 to date
- Donated current Greater Accra Regional office, Pig Farm
- Patron, Greater Accra Women’s Wing of the NPP – 2014 to 2018